Mayor's Office of Veterans Affairs

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Records & Medals


Correction of your military record, a review of your discharge, obtaining copies of your DD-214 / NGB-22, or your medals.

​Correction of Military Records

Requests to have military records corrected are handled through each branch of service’s Board of Correction of Military Records.

All requests to correct an error to military records must be filed within three years of discovery of the error and contain evidence, such as signed statements from you and other witnesses or copies of records that support your case.

For more information: National Archives and Records Administration: Military Service Records

Apply for a Review of Discharge

​Leaving the military with a less-than-honorable discharge can dramatically impact your post-service life, including disqualifying you for certain veterans benefits and negatively affecting your job prospects. While the process is not simple and the results not guaranteed, there is a way to appeal, and possibly upgrade, the classification of your discharge.

Each branch of the military maintains a separate discharge review board with authority to change, correct or modify military discharges. You can access their websites individually below.

For more information: Federal VA: Military Records

Request a Copy of your DD-214, Medals, or Service Records

​Veterans or their next of kin who need assistance in obtaining services records, a DD-214, or replacement awards and medals must formally request them through the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). The NPRC is the records custodian for most discharged and retired members of all branches of service. The fastest way to obtain a copy is through their eVetRecs.

For more information: National Personnel Records Center​