Mayor's Office of Veterans Affairs

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

VA Claims and Benefits Assistance

VA Claims and Benefits Assistance

Disability Compensation is a tax free monetary benefit paid to Veterans with disabilities that are the result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service. Compensation may also be paid for post-service disabilities that are considered related or secondary to disabilities occurring in service and for disabilities presumed to be related to circumstances of military service, even though they may arise after service. Generally, the degrees of disability specified are also designed to compensate for considerable loss of working time from exacerbations or illnesses.

The Mayor’s Office of Veterans Affairs has a number of volunteer service officers that are specially trained to provide expert assistance, free of charge, to veterans and their families. While the majority of a service officer’s work involves application for VA disability benefits, these professionals also provide information, referrals and resources on education, employment and business, death benefits and other important topics.

Documents that may help support a VA disability claim

If possible, have the following ready when you make your call:

  • DD Form 214 (Issued at separation)
  • Service medical records (outpatient), dental records, entrance and separation examination reports
  • Inpatient hospitalization records (private or military)
  • Private outpatient medical records (if applicable)
  • Personnel file
  • Line of Duty (LOD) investigation reports
  • Overseas or temporary duty (travel) orders

Before you separate from service, you should ensure that all of the information (including awards, overseas time, campaigns, RE code, etc.) on the DD 214 is correct before signing. Uncorrected errors may cause problems in the future when applying for VA and other benefits.  If you believe that your DD-214 is incorrect the Mayor’s Office of Veterans Affairs has resources available to assist you.

 To schedule an appointment with a service officer, please call the Mayor’s Office of Veterans Affairs at (202) 724-5454.